Peace Memorial Park near the hypocenter
The recovery plan called for a park to be built
in the area around the A-bomb Dome and all of Nakajima-cho (the area across
the river) that would become a symbol of peace. Peace Memorial Park was
built, and the Cenotaph for the A-bomb Victims was unveiled on August
6, 1952. The Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum opened in August 1955. The
park was laid out with the A-bomb Dome, the Cenotaph, and Hiroshima Peace
Memorial Museum all standing in a straight line north to south.
Just south of the Peace Memorial Museum, an extremely wide street (100
meters) was built. After a naming contest, it was given the name Heiwa
Odori, which means "Peace Boulevard."