What was the original building that later became the A-bomb Dome?
The original building of the A-bomb Dome was the Hiroshima Prefectural Commercial Exhibition Hall which was completed in April 1915. The hall was a very modern building. It was designed by a Czech architect, Jan Letzel. In the hall its staff offered consultation on selling prefectural products. It was also used as a space for events by department stores and art exhibitions. The name of the hall was later changed to the Hiroshima Prefectural Product Exhibition Hall, and then to the Hiroshima Prefectural Industrial Promotion Hall. However, as the war intensified, business activities of the hall stopped. The building was used as offices of public agencies instead. For more details; http://www.pcf.city.hiroshima.jp/frame/Virtual_e/
visit_e/estBuild_1.html

  The dome before the atomic bombing
  The dome before the atomic bombing (About 1930)
  The dome after the atomic bombing
  The dome after the atomic bombing (About Fall in 1945, Photo; U.S.Army)

質問のトップにもどる