Let's Look at the Special Exhibit

Sending off the Dead
The injured died one after the next. Starting with the day of the bombing, disposal of bodies continued until the emergency field hospital was closed. Any nametags affixed to the dead were collected along with locks of hair and belongings. These were placed in envelopes with the victims' names on them and set aside for safekeeping. The bodies were piled up in and around the grounds of the quarantine station, but there were too many to cremate. Many were carried into bomb shelters dug into cliffs and buried. The most seriously injured died without revealing their names; thousands were never identified.

Photo 25
Corpses covered with straw mats just before being taken away
Drawing and text / Miyae Kageyama
August 6, 1945, Ninoshima Quarantine Station

The soldiers could not keep up with the bodies needing to be taken away. In the meantime they covered the dead with straw mats. The soldiers would make a large pile of bodies and pour oil them. Lighting the fire ignited a sea of flame. When I think of human beings ending their lives this way, all I can do is shed tears and put my hands together in prayer."
Excerpt from the memoir "My Experience"
Photo Photo
Soldiers carrying bodies away from the pier

Drawing and text / Masako Ishifuro
August 7, 1945, about 10:00 a.m., Ninoshima Quarantine Station

Looking toward the dock, I saw large boats coming in filled with dead. They put them on stretchers and carried them on their shoulders behind a ridge. When I tried to follow, I was told, 'No entry.' I shed tears and put my hands together in prayer."
Excerpt from her memoir
Cremation of unknown numbers of dead

Drawing and text / Kazumi Takeda
August 8, 1945, Ninoshima Quarantine Station

"A large trench was dug near the ward. The dead were piled into it, covered with oil and ignited. The smoke billowed high into the sky. Many were unidentified. The terrible odor lasted for days."
Excerpt from his memoir
Grave marker with "1000-Person Mound" written in India ink

Photo / Shunkichi Kikuchi Courtesy / Tokuko Kikuchi
October 17, 1945, Aza Majidomari, Ninoshima-cho

This mound was by the sea in Majidomari near the Horse Quarantine Station. About August 25, 1945, the marker was placed there by quarantine staff during a memorial service. In those days, burial sites were everywhere.

Victims who died on Ninoshima

Photo Photo
Hiroaki Hori
30 Junior high student's shorts
Donated by Teruto Hori
Approx. 1,200 m from the hypocenter Zakoba-cho (now, Kokutaiji-machi)
Hiroaki Hori (then, 13), a first-year student at First Hiroshima Prefectural Junior High School, was exposed to the A-bomb as a mobilized student demolishing buildings. He was taken to Ninoshima. He wandered among the injured groaning students shouting, "Are there any First Junior students here?" Hiroaki was burned, blistered and utterly unrecognizable. His own father identified him only by the name on these shorts.
Photo Photo
31 Takae Yagyu 32 Pieces of monpe (workpants)
Donated by Ikue Fukuda Approx. 1,200 m from the hypocenter, Zakoba-cho (now, Kokutaiji-machi)
Takae Yagyu (then, 13), a second-grader at Yamanaka Girls High School attached to Hiroshima Women's Higher School of Education, was exposed at her student mobilization building demolition work site. Her mother, Hisako, found Takae on the 12th on Ninoshima Island. Takae's face was swollen large, and only tatters of her singed clothing still clung to her body. She died on the morning of the 14th. These pieces of the monpe were burned onto Takae's body and had to be cut off. The family kept them in her memory.
Photo Photo
Masakazu Okitsu
34 Student corps badge
Donated by Toshiko Yamada
Approx. 600 m from the hypocenter, Nakajima-shin-machi (now, Nakajima-cho)
Masakazu Okitsu (then, 12), a first-grader at Second Hiroshima Prefectural Junior High School, was exposed at his student mobilization building demolition work site. One month after the bombing, City Hall turned over to them the remains and belongings of their son, who had been cremated on Ninoshima. Their last sight of him was that morning when he waved cheerily and said, "Bye, see you later."
Photo Photo
Satoshi Yamane
36 Trousers
Donated by Otosaku Yamane
Approx. 500 m from the hypocenter, Zaimoku-cho (now, Nakajima-cho)
Satoru Yamane, (then, 13), a first-year student in Hiroshima Municipal Shipbuilding Technical School, was exposed demolishing buildings as a mobilized student. When evening came, Satoru was taken to Ninoshima. His elder brother,Toru nursed him devotedly, but Satoru died at 6:00 a.m. on the 7th. They kept the trousers that Toru brought home as a keepsake.
Photo Photo
Mitsuzen Onishi
38 Letter
Donated by Yoshio Onishi
Mitsuzen Onishi (then, 42), head priest at Anrakuin Temple, was exposed while bicycling toward Hijiyama Hill. His remains and belongings were sent home to his family.
Photo Photo
Setsuko Ogawa
40 Dress and monpe jacket
Donated by Ritsu Ogawa
Approx. 790 m from the hypocenter, Moto-machi
Setsuko Ogawa (then, 21) was exposed outdoors near her workplace, the Chugoku Military District Headquarters. She was taken to Ninoshima. Setsuko died on the 11th.
Photo Photo
Shigeo Nabeshima
Pocket watch

Donated by Shiyako Nabeshima
Approx. 1,100 m from the hypocenter, Kako-machi
Shigeo Nabeshima (then, 37) joined the Hiroshima District Defense Corps and began working at a building demolition site in Kako-machi on August 1. On the 6th, he was exposed to the A-bomb at his worksite and went missing.
Photo Photo
Noboru Nagaoka
Disaster Certificate

Donated by Taeko Fujita
Noboru Nagaoka (then, 37) was exposed around Ote-machi 8-chome, approximately 1,100 meters from the hypocenter. Noboru died on August 20. Yuki