Making a Comeback-2
Hiroshima Posts and Telecommunications Hospital
The new building featured especially large windows which were shattered by the blast, the window frames bent like soft candy. Starting shortly after the bombing, a crowd of injured people began to pour in. Day and night, staff members feverishly provided aid.
* Location: 19-16 Higashi-hakushima-cho, Naka-ku
* Distance from hypocenter: 1,370 meters
* Name at time of bombing: Hiroshima Posts and Telecommunications Hospital
* Structure/number of stories: Reinforced concrete, two stories with basement floor and partial third story
* Completed: 1935
* Name when completed: Hiroshima Posts and Telecommunications Clinic
* Current status: A portion of the former outpatient ward has been preserved. The bombing-related materials room and re-created operating room are open to visitors.
Hiroshima Electric Railway Co., Ltd., Sendamachi Substation and office
Streetcars began running in Hiroshima in 1912. This two-wing building originally housed generator and boiler for generating electricity. By 1934 the power station had deteriorated so the generating functions were terminated and it became a substation.
Although the roof was stripped off by the atomic bomb, the building did not collapse. It resumed operations and played an important role after the bombing.
The former boiler wing (left side of photo) is now used as an office, and the bent roof trusses can be seen. The former power-generating wing (right side of photo) is still an active substation.
* Location: 2-9-29 Higashi-senda-machi, Naka-ku
* Distance from hypocenter: 1,920 meters
* Name at time of bombing: Hiroshima Electric Railway Sendamachi Substation
* Structure/number of stories: Brick, one story with basement floor, two wings * Completed: 1912
* Name when completed: Hiroshima Electric Railroad Thermal Power Station
* Current status: Office appears on left side of photo, and substation on right.
* Vehicle name: 650-model electric streetcar
* Current status: Four cars currently exist. Two bomb-damaged streetcars are still in operation. A third is kept at the Eba Depot, and the forth is exhibited at the Hiroshima City Transportation Museum.
650-model electric streetcar
The bombing killed 211 employees of the Hiroshima Electric Railway, and 108 of 123 streetcars were damaged. About forty people, including people from the Tokyo Telegraph Corps, began making emergency repairs. On August 9, three days after the bombing, shuttle service from Koi to Nishi-tenma-cho began, giving hope to many city residents.
Wooden Building Now
Tamonin Temple Bell Tower
The Tamonin Temple has been in its current location on Hijiyama Hill since 1604. Surrounded by trees at the foot of the hill and thought to be relatively safe, it was designated as an emergency refuge by the wartime Prefectural Government.
The atomic bomb heavily damaged the main hall and priests' quarters, but the structure did not burn. In the evening of August 6, a "Prefectural Air Defense Headquarters" was established there that served as a relief supply center and distributed rice balls. The next morning (August 7), the Prefectural Air Defense Headquarters relocated to the Higashi Police Station (now, Kanayama-cho).
After the war, the main hall was repaired, but later burned down. Of the A-bombed wooden structures that currently exist, the bell tower was closest to the hypocenter. It has been preserved with its roof and ceiling as they appeared after the bombing. The bell was confiscated by the government, but in 1949 a "Bell of Peace" was manufactured that rings each morning and evening.
* Location: 7-10 Hijiyama-cho, Minami-ku
* Distance from hypocenter: 1,750 meters
* Name at time of bombing: Tamonin Temple Bell Tower
* Structure: Wooden
* Completed: 1934
* Name when completed: Tamonin Temple Bell Tower
* Current status: Preserved in same condition as when bombed.