Struggling to Return to Life 2

People waiting for a train on the platform of Hiroshima Station

Many of the troops stationed in Hiroshima were released from duty from September to October, and the soldiers headed for their home towns.
October 11-20 Matsubara-cho 1,900m from the hypocenter
Taken by Shunkichi Kikuchi Courtesy of Tokuko Kikuchi

Japanese military submarines

After losing the war, Japan was placed under the Occupation of the Allied Forces. Occupation started in the Chugoku Region from September, and Kure became the base for the occupying troops. Japanese military submarines no longer in use were left idle in the area around Ninoshima Island in Hiroshima Bay.
October 16-17 Ninoshima Island Approximately 10km from the hypocenter
Taken by Shunkichi Kikuchi Courtesy of Tokuko Kikuchi

People gathering to watch a film

Film screenings were held and attracted large numbers of people.
November Chugoku Power Distribution Company 680m from the hypocenter
Taken by and courtesy of H. J. Peterson

Makurazaki Typhoon

On September 17, 1945, the Makurazaki Typhoon hit Kagoshima Prefecture before moving north through Kyushu and into Honshu. This extremely strong typhoon caused great damage in Hiroshima Prefecture. The heavy rains it brought left most of Hiroshima City under water. Twenty bridges were washed away. In Hiroshima Prefecture alone, 1,229 people lost their lives, with 783 missing. Nationwide, 2,473 people died, with 1,283 missing. Thus, over half of the casualties were in Hiroshima Prefecture. Hiroshima's city functions had already been destroyed by the bombing, and the Hiroshima District Meteorological Observatory, the prefectural government, City Hall, newspapers and radio were not yet fully recovered. Hiroshima's citizens had no idea the typhoon was coming, which left them more vulnerable. Still reeling from the bombing the previous month, Hiroshima was hit hard by the flood.

Ono Army Hospital, hit by a mudslide

Some injured were taken to hospitals in areas around Hiroshima City. Almost one hundred people were also cared for at the army hospital in Ono Village, Saeki County (now, Ono, Hatsukaichi City), south-west of Hiroshima City. This hospital was hit by a mudslide resulting from Makurazaki Typhoon, and approximately 200 people lost their lives. This number included members of the Kyoto Imperial University A-bomb Disaster Survey Team, which was based at the hospital.
October 14 Ono Village, Saeki County
Taken by Shunkichi Kikuchi Courtesy of Tokuko Kikuchi

Hiroshima, 1945

−A-bomb Damage Revealed in Photographs−