Scars Remaining

Schools gradually reopened after September 1. As the Wartime Casualties Care Law provided relief stations only two months, most of the stations were closed on October 5. However, the wounds inflicted by the atomic bombing were not easily healed. Buildings destroyed by the bomb blast or fire remained essentially unchanged, and injured victims still sought treatment regularly. Even in September, bodies were still being cremated in the open.

Two or Three Months after the Bombing  

Former bank area near the hypocenter

November Saiku-machi Near the hypocenter
Taken by US military

Dambara District

Although the Dambara District was blocked from the bomb blast by Hijiyama Hill, there were still many homes that were partially destroyed.
October 6-11 Dambara-higashiura-cho 3,000m from the hypocenter
Taken by Shunkichi Kikuchi Courtesy of Tokuko Kikuchi

Survey of A-bomb Damage

Kusatsu Elementary School

Kusatsu Elementary School, which suffered little damage, was used as a relief station from immediately after the bombing, and at one time housed over 3,000 wounded people. The bodies of the deceased who had no one to take them away were cremated in a hole dug in the school yard. Even two months after the bombing, one can see a scattering of white pieces of bone in the place where the cremations had taken place. Schools in the city gradually reopened from September, but there were places where the remains of cremations were still visible.
October 13 Kusatsu-higashi-machi 4,700m from the hypocenter
Taken by Shunkichi Kikuchi Courtesy of Tokuko Kikuchi

Survey at the Hiroshima First Army Hospital Ujina Branch

A survey team from the United States came to Hiroshima in September to survey the damage from the bombing. Dr. Masao Tsuzuki of Tokyo Imperial University accompanied them.
September 11 Ujina-machi 4,160m from the hypocenter
Taken by Entaro Yamagami Courtesy of Mainichi Shimbun

Treatment Continues

Hiroshima Red Cross Hospital

Although Hiroshima Red Cross Hospital's buildings were destroyed by the bombing, the hospital took in and treated many wounded people from immediately after the bombing. Treatment was continued there even after the temporary relief station had been closed.
October 4 Senda-machi 1-chome 1,500m from the hypocenter
Taken by Shunkichi Kikuchi Courtesy of Tokuko Kikuchi

Hiroshima, 1945

−A-bomb Damage Revealed in Photographs−