The Heart of a Military City - 1
The First Outpost of Kyushu Garrison was established within the Honmaru of Hiroshima Castle in 1871, soon becoming the Hiroshima Garrison of Fifth Military District in 1873 and then the Fifth Division in 1888, and the number of military personnel in Hiroshima was gradually strengthened. The 11th Infantry Regiment and the Transport Corps, who were responsible for transporting military items, were formed and Moto-machi eventually filled in with military-related facilities. Although it must appear that Moto-machi was the center of the military city of Hiroshima, it was also a fun and relaxing place where citizens could enjoy themselves and feel at ease.
Hiroshima Garrison Headquarters building
Hiroshima Eiju Hospital
Transport ships anchored in Ujina Port and small crafts carrying dispatched troops
The recently completed Ujina Line
Expansive Military Reservation
Before the Sino-Japanese War, the military reservation within the city was limited to the area within the castle walls and places such as the Eba Firing Range and the Eastern Drill Ground, but the Sino- and Russo-Japanese wars led to a large-scale expansion. Additional facilities included the Army Transport Division and their factory on Kanawajima Island; depots for army provisions, clothing, and ordnance; and the Ninoshima Quarantine Station. These additions almost doubled the size of military-use land in the city.
Source: Hiroshima History New Edition, Vol. 2
*Click the map to see a larger image.