The Heart of a Military City - 2
Creation of the Imperial Headquarters
The Imperial Headquarters was the highest organization from which the war was conducted under the emperor. When the Sino-Japanese War began, it was first located in Tokyo, but in order to quickly respond to changes in the war it was moved in August 1894 to Hiroshima from where troops were being dispatched. From September 15, 1894 until April 27, 1895, the Meiji Emperor commanded his troops from the Fifth Division Headquarters in Moto-machi, which served as the Imperial Headquarters. Since many other important government posts also moved to Hiroshima, it was as if Hiroshima had become the temporary capital.
Street map of Hiroshima at the time of the Sino-Japanese War (reproduction)
Hiroshima Castle at the time of the Sino-Japanese War
Wood Block Print: Safe Arrival in Hiroshima Prefecture
Commencement of the Provisional Imperial Diet
A ceremony marking the start of the Diet session was held in the presence of the Meiji Emperor on October 18 in the Hiroshima Provisional Diet Building built on the Western Drill Ground. There, the draft budget covering expenditures for the Sino-Japanese War were unanimously approved by both the House of Peers and the House of Representatives.
Hiroshima Provisional Diet Building
Inside the Provisional Diet Building
House of Peers (Above) and House of Representatives (Below)