Becoming a Lively Place - 1
In the city reconstruction plan that was decided in 1946, a park had been planned for the majority of western Moto-machi. Later, the Hiroshima Peace Memorial City Construction Law was issued and the Hiroshima Peace Memorial City Construction Plan was settled in 1952.
The southern portion of western Moto-machi became home to a variety of cultural and athletic facilities.
Children’s facilities in the park
Kids sketching in front of the Children’s Culture Center
Progress towards Peace
The Third Peace Festival was held in 1949 in the public space in front of the Children’s Culture Center. Hiroshima City mayor, Shinzo Hamai, announced his Peace Declaration.
In July 1949, the Chuo Community Hall was built on the east side of the Hiroshima Chamber of Commerce and Industry, which currently sits along Aioi Avenue, and in September of the same year a single room became the A-bomb Reference Material Display Room. The predecessor of the current Peace Memorial Museum, it displayed damaged roofing tiles and materials related to the bombing.
The Third Peace Festival
A-bomb Reference Material Display Room
Although the Hiroshima Castle Tower was lost to the A-bomb, it was rebuilt as one of the sites for the Hiroshima Restoration Exposition, appearing much as it had prior to the bombing.
The Hiroshima Castle Tower that had been a familiar sight to the people of Hiroshima once again took its place as the Moto-machi landmark, and it seemed to look out over the reconstruction efforts of the whole city.
Construction on the castle tower progresses
Hiroshima Restoration Exposition (Folk Exhibit)