44 Motoyasu Bridge
The original Motoyasu Bridge was built by Terumoto Mori when
he built Hiroshima Castle and constructed the castle town 400 years ago.
The bridge exposed to the atomic bombing was built in 1926. With spherical
ornamental lights topping the main columns on both riverbanks and light
posts lining the bridge itself, it was quite modern and stylish for its
day. However, when the metal in the lighting fixtures was requisitioned
for the war effort, lights were installed instead in stone lanterns.
The girders withstood the atomic bombing, but the blast pushed the coping
stones on the main columns outward and knocked the railings off both sides
into the river. From this evidence, people thought that the hypocenter was
located on a line extended from the bridge.
The surviving bridge was used for another 40 years after the bombing, but
it eventually deteriorated. Construction of a new bridge began in 1989 and
was completed in 1992.
The new bridge was designed to resemble the original one. It incorporated
four main columns and two pillars from the A-bombed bridge into its design.
Two pillars from the old bridge lying to the east of Motoyasu Bridge serve
as a historic monument.