After the A-bombing,
injured people in search of first-aid made their way to the still intact
Hiroshima Red Cross Hospital,which was turned into atemporary relief station.
However, medical supplies were soon exhausted, and most of the doctors and
nurses were killed or injured, so the vast majority were able to receive
no treatment. Untold numbers died waiting for attention.
In September 1956 a special medical facility,Atomic Bomb Hospital, was added
to offer healthcare, examinations and treatment specifically to A-bomb survivors.
Location: Senda-machi, Naka-ku,
Hiroshima Distance from the hypocenter: 1.5 kilometers south Floor space: About 4,900 m2 Structure: Ferro-concrete, 3 floors above ground, 1 basement Completed: February 1939 Demolition: March 1993 Design: Koichi Sato Architectural Design Office Preservation: September 1993, a northern section of the third
floor where the steel frame was bent by the A-bomb blast was cut away,
relocated within the hospital grounds, and preserved as monument.